|On 13 April 1945 the American 30th Div. and 2d Armd.Div arrived at "Versuchstelle Hillersleben" in the Province of Saxony. About 18 km Northwest of Magdenbourg. They were immediately impressed by the tremendous size. The wide part is about 11 km, it's long axis 30 km. Coupled with the generous supply of buildings, instruments and machine-tools made Hillersleben an ideal Proving Ground for its purpose: The Development and Testing of Artillery and Ammunition Germany's secret Artillery weapons were developed and tested on the grounds. The 80 cm Dora fired it's first shot. Other railroad Guns like the K5 and the 30 cm Smooth Bore were used to test Long Range ammunition. The 60 and 54 cm Howitzers fired shots on the range. All kind of Flak, Pak and artillery were tested. This Website informs you about the History of these grounds. First used by the German Army Weapons Office(1935-1945). A short period in 1945 by the Ninth US Army. Later by the Russian Army and now these days by the German Bundeswehr.
For questions or comments please mail to: Salchauer-Postdienst@hillersleben.com
No part of this homepage and including pages at www.provingground.info may be reproduced in any form by print photo print, microfilm or computer download or reproduced in any form at internet or any other means without written permission from the publisher